This is an update of how my food rendering is progressing. I have not yet done a true shader for the mashed potatoes or the sauce and I still need to add displacement, specular, and subsurface scattering to the meat shader. Also, I am still trying to work out the hypertexture shader and lighting to achieve a bread effect. However, in my experiments I found that I still achieved an appealing cheese ball look.
Viewing entries in
This is my image for the class Renderman contest. It was created using RIB archiving. Notable effects include subsurface scattering calculation, displacement mapping on the ground, and depth of field. A more detailed write up of the procedure is forthcoming.
I was able to find my error in applying subsurface scattering to my grape shader. I had an incorrect value in my rib file that wasn't allowing the entire irradiance point cloud to be baked out properly. I fixed the value and below are the renders with two different material presets.
This past weekend I shot some reference images to examine the properties of french bread, oil, a glossy plate, and I got some nice images of red wine caustics.
Below is my initial food model. It was created in Maya using NURBS and then will be exported to a RIB file where I will add my shaders. Additional detail will be added using displacement maps. As discussed in the pixar paper, soft body dynamics were used to aid in the way the meat fell on the plate. I still have to apply this technique to the vegetables on the plate.
The main goal of the project is to gain an in depth understanding of writing Renderman shading and illumination models with a primary focus on semi-realistic food rendering. In particular, attention will be paid to subsurface scattering and specularity for creating appealing translucent foods. Also, hypertextures will be explored for their application in realistic bread rendering.